Saturday, June 22, 2013

Happiness in the Home

I want to talk a little bit about forgiveness. It is one principle and characteristic that is needed when raising a happy family. No one is perfect and I believe that people can have second chances. I think that the hardest behaviors that I could image dealing with in a family situation or in marriage is infidelity. Infidelity unfortunately seems to be the one of the most prevalent behavior that causes damages marriages and sometimes divorce. Being unfaithful to your partner you committed your life too is detrimental to your spouse, your children, your friends, and your community. When someone does this it doesn’t just hurt you, it hurts a lot of people (ripple effect) and I feel is one of the most selfish acts that someone could perform against another. It tears families apart. Dealing with personal forgiveness, I would have to be honest and say that it is really hard to do. For a while I didn’t want to let go of unforgiving feelings towards someone close to me, because I felt hurt and angry. The thing that helped me the most in beginning to forgive this person was actually my father’s example. He was the one that suggested we pray for this person every night and morning as a family. I was surprised, because this choice seemed to have hit my dad the hardest. I was humbled by his forgiving heart and strength. It was a testimony to me to love everyone, because they are all God’s children and he loves them just as much as he loves me. This helped me to begin to gain a testimony of the Atonement on my own. Praying for someone else is something that is extremely powerful and opens your eyes to love them. I am sure lots of us can think of several behaviors where we feel that as a person couldn’t be forgiven or don’t deserve our forgiveness, but we are commanded to forgive seven times seven. This isn’t literal, but we are taught that God will forgive who he wants to forgive, but of us, he requires us to forgive all men. This is straightforward and leaves us no room to give excuse. We cannot afford to be selfish and withhold forgiveness from someone else. Forgiveness is a healing virtue that helps people become better individuals. I realize some situations are unbearable difficult and I have to trust that the Lord will work out all of these things when the time is right. I have a testimony of forgiveness and the power of the Atonement. The Lord loves us and wants us to turn to him, in good circumstances and in bad.

            In my class we did an activity where I chose to make a list with my spouse of all the things that would make our homes a happier place where we could feel the Spirit and have a warm and inviting place to come home to. We came up with these things:

           Keeping everything a lot cleaner by doing daily chores.
           Have pictures of Christ in the home as a reminder of who we are trying to be like.
           Have positive things around the home that would remind you to keep the spirit here and have a positive attitude.
           Filter media. Be strict about what we allow into our homes. Chuck anything that would be inappropriate.
           Be organized with our things- A house of order is a house of God.
           Be healthy and involved in church and community activities.

Some things that I learned from others in the class this week were:
           Be cleanly and organized-invites the spirit.
           Plan for family time, if we don’t it won’t really happen.
           Go through things in the home and eliminate anything that isn’t conducive to the spirit.
           It’s okay to be strict about what you let into your homes. This is where you have control     about what happens.
           Set technology aside for family times. Family is more important.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment