Friday, July 5, 2013

Challenges in the Home can be Opportunities


One of the challenges that constantly erode the home is the trial to protect the family from abuse within the home. I have been very blessed with a loving and encouraging family and have been raised in a healthy environment where I could really learn and grow. I think that I would address abuse prevention in my home, by setting the example myself. My mom always said that you caught more flies with honey than you ever could with vinegar. I would like to be the positive and uplifting person in the family that sets the tone for the home and family. I would handling problems and misbehavior with love and concern, instead of psychological abuse or physical punishment. I would keep media portraying violence, sexual intimacy, and vulgar interactions out of my home. I would do this by monitoring the things that came into my home by putting up passwords on internet access, music/video buying, and online gaming. Something that we did as a family, because of what we have been canceled to do by the prophet and apostles, is to keep the computer in a public area in the home. I am glad we had this rule and know it has blessed our home. It is increasingly harder to block things like that with so many hand held devices now, which is why I suggested passwords. I would also like to focus on showing trust and respect to my children and spouse. These types of characteristics are crucial to successful relationships and help so those feelings are reciprocated. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you applies in these kinds of situations as well, when wondering how we should treat others. Your children will see your example as you treat others with respect and love. I can lead with my spouse to show my future family that having a family with love, charity, respect, honesty, and trust, is how our Heavenly Father wanted the family unity to function and how we are happy.

Elaine S. Dalton in her October 2011 General Conference talk, “Love Her Mother”, said this to the father’s about being the protectors in the home:

“Fathers, you are the guardians of your homes, your wives, and your children. Today “it is not an easy thing to protect one’s family against intrusions of evil into [their] minds and spirits. … These influences can and do flow freely into the home. Satan [is very clever]. He need not break down the door.”
You must be the guardians of virtue. “A priesthood holder is virtuous. Virtuous behavior implies that [you have] pure thoughts and clean actions. … Virtue is … an attribute of godliness.” It “is akin to holiness.” The Young Women values are Christlike attributes which include the value of virtue. We now call upon you to join with us in leading the world in a return to virtue. In order to do so, you “must practice virtue and holiness” by eliminating from your life anything that is evil and inconsistent with one who holds the holy priesthood of God. “Let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly; then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God; and … the Holy Ghost shall be thy constant companion.” So be cautious about what you view in entertainment media or print. Your personal virtue will model for your daughters, and also your sons, what true strength and moral courage are. By being a guardian of virtue in your own life, in your home, and in the lives of your children, you are showing your wife and daughters what true love really is. Your personal purity will give you power.
You are not ordinary men. Because of your valiance in the premortal realms, you qualified to be leaders and to possess priesthood power. There you exhibited “exceeding faith and good works,” and you are here now to do the same. Your priesthood sets you apart.

For the full talk the link is bellow:
 
                

No comments:

Post a Comment